"> Insurance FAQs

Is MacDowell Insurance, Inc. my insurance company?
No, we are your personal independent insurance agents. We respresent several different insurance companies, not just one, to give the best possible coverage and premium to our customers. Many companies only operate through independent agencies.

Does my policy cover floods? 
The fact is homeowner insurance policies do not cover damage caused by floods, and federal disaster assistance is only offered when the president declares a major disaster (which only happens in 50% of flooding situations). Unfortunately, most people do not find this out until it is too late. However, flood insurance is available to protect homes and businesses and their contents in communities that participate in the National Flood Insurance Program. Premiums are the same with every Flood Insurance company. There is a 30 day waiting period for new policies to begin for a Preferred Risk Policy.

What is an Elevation Certificate?
The Flood Elevation Certificate is an important tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It is used to certify building elevations if the building is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area in order to:

Determine the proper flood insurance premium rate for the building. 
Support a request of a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision based on fill (LOMR-F). 
The elevation information must be submitted on the Elevation Certificate (FEMA Form 81-31) in effect at the time that the Elevation Certificate was completed and signed. Elevation Certificates can only be completed by a licensed land surveyor, engineer, or architect who is licensed by the State to perform such functions.

How much should I insure my home?
First things first: Don't make the mistake of assuming you only need a homeowners insurance policy to cover only the market or resale value of your home. In some cases, this may be a sufficient amount of coverage. In most cases, it's not. This is especially true for older homes and homes in urban areas suffering from a decline in property values. In fact, market value has very little, if anything, to do with what's known as replacement cost.

To help you determine how much home insurance you need, homeowners insurance companies will likely calculate the cost to rebuild a home based on certain criteria, including:

  • square footage 
  • type and quality of construction 
  • cost of materials 
  • any additional amenities or special features 

Knowing this, make sure you request a policy that includes full replacement cost of your home when you get a homeowners insurance quote.

Does my policy cover hurricane damage? 
Yes, your homeowner’s insurance policy will cover damages caused by windstorms. The typical deductible for hurricane damage can range from 2% to 10% of the insured value of the dwelling depending on the policy. It’s also important to note that this deductible is per calendar year.

What does the hurricane deductible mean? 
This is the amount that you, the policyholder, will have to pay out of pocket. For example, if your home is insured for $250,000 with a 2% wind deductible and has hurricane damages of $50,000. The amount of the deductible will be 2% X $250,000 = $5,000. The remaining amount ($45,000) would be paid by the insurance policy. 

Why does my home need a 4-Point Inspection?
Depending on the age of the home, an inspection is required by the insurance company to make sure updates have been made on the home and are in working order. Electric, Plumbing, A/C & Heat, and the roof will be inspected. This will be a cost to the insured of about $95. We can refer our customers to Wind Florida Inspections at 407-644-2665 or you may choose your own.

Do you the agency, accept payment?
Yes,  we can accept personal checks, credit card, or checking account number depending on the company. However, it will be faster to directly send the check to the billing department of the company you are insured with. You can also call the company customer service number for payments over the phone.

My mortgage company did not pay and I received a Cancellation Notice. Is my policy cancelled?
Usually companies give mortgages 60-90 days to make your payment and the notice letter is to make you aware they have not yet received payment. Please call  your mortgage company for any non-payment notices and if they have sent a check.

What is the deductible on my auto policy? 
In the event of a claim this is the amount you will have to pay before your policy pays. You can choose between $250, $500, or $1000. 

What's the difference between comprehensive and collision? 
Collision is the part of the policy which covers your vehicle against damage caused in an accident. Comprehensive covers your car for damages not caused by a collision. It also covers against named perils such as hurricane damage and theft. 

Do I have immediate coverage on my new car purchase or if I am replacing a current vehicle?
Yes, if replacing a current covered auto the new vehicle is immediately covered with the same coverages. If buying an additional vehicle, you have immediate coverage up to 14 days if you have current comp. and collision on another vehicle. If you do not have current comp. or collision coverage you have up to 4 days to report your new auto with us. Please call us to report additional or replacement autos.

What are the state required limits for auto insurance? 
10/20/10 or $10,000 for each person insured, $20,000 for the claims of all persons injured in one accident, and $10,000 for all property damage. 

What is uninsured motorist coverage? 
Coverage designed to provide protection should you be involved in an accident with a motorist who is at fault and has either no insurance or not enough to cover the damages. 

I just moved to Florida. Is coverage the same from state to state? 
No. Each state has unique rules and regulations for auto insurance. It’s important to be aware of the differences. 

Do I have to turn in my out of state tags and get new ones from Florida? 
Yes. Upon moving to Florida a driver has 30 days get a new registration on the vehicle. 

What is the Florida Financial Responsibility Law? 
The law that requires owners or operators of autos to provide evidence that they have the funds to pay for automobile losses for which they might become liable. Insurance is the usual method for providing this evidence to the state. 

HomeAbout UsPersonalCommercialFAQ'sContact

Please give us a call for any questions or concerns.
MacDowell Insurance, Inc.
Home - Auto - Commercial
420 Lake Howell Rd   Maitland, Fl 32751   I    Ph: 407-628-2200